The Hadley School for the Blind is the latest organization to update its name to reflect changing times, though unlike others, they're not removing the word blind from the name. The Hadley Institute For the Blind And Visually Impaired as it is now known reflects a change in the program offerings for the long-time nonprofit, which traditionally focused on blindness skills courses by mail but has expanded to offer a variety of curriculum options ranging from braille instruction to entrepreneurship training.
According to a press release, "The perception of blindness and visual impairment is changing. So too is Hadley. We are continually evolving to meet the needs of a broad spectrum of individuals with visual impairment, including older adults with low vision."
Founded by George Hadley and Dr. E.V.L. Brown, the school got its start as the Hadley Correspondence School and 1920 and adopted the Hadley School for the Blind moniker early in its history. It is now the largest educator of braille in the world and serves more than 10,000 students annually.
Probably a smart move, given what so-called schools for the blind have become in recent decades.
You must be logged in to post comments.
J.J. Meddaugh is an experienced technology writer and computer enthusiast. He is a graduate of Western Michigan University with a major in telecommunications management and a minor in business. When not writing for Blind Bargains, he enjoys travel, playing the keyboard, and meeting new people.